I went to the beach today. This time, I didn’t go to Pancur Hitam or Pohon Batu like I always do. I went to the beach in front of the Tiara Hotel instead.
You should know me; I enjoy relaxing at beach. I don’t care if I got that ‘salty’ feel on my skin. As long as I got to relax, I’ll be fine.
This time, I couldn’t resist to walk on the shore.
Dear Labuan peoples, we should be thankful to God for the beautiful white sandy beach.
*this was taken at Tanjung Aru.
But do we care about our beach at all? I saw plastic bags all over the place. Well, not that critical, but it doesn’t add any compliment to the white sand. Singapore Chicken Rice, Labuan Supermarket, Beras Bernas and plenty more to list here. Why people dump plastic bag to the ocean? Don’t they think of the fish and any other sea creatures?
We should remember one thing. What we have now, that will be our kids and grandchildren heritage.
I admit I did pick some plastic bag and put it to where it belongs – the dustbin. Not that I want to show off that I did what a good citizen will do. I realized that I can make a difference even though it’s just a dozen of plastic bags.
So, I asked you, fellow readers to keep this in mind.
1. If you go for a picnic, PLEASE do not mess up the place with your plastic bags and rubbish. Put it to the dustbin. If there is no dustbin around, collect and gather it in a plastic bag, and drop it at any dustbin you can find – even if you have to walk a distance to find one. Walking is healthy you know.
2. PLEASE consider that God gave us a beautiful planet and He want us to be the care taker. Please do not rely on the contractor that rewarded by your City Council to do the job alone.
3. Even better, before we go to the picnic spot, avoid taking with you a plastic bag. Put all things that you need in a container or a basket – anything that you can bring home.
4. Report to the related authorities if you saw anyone dumping massive rubbish to the ocean. I bet anyone would have that camera phone – make full use of it.
5. Teach your kids to be responsible to the environment. Never let them learn that ‘it’s not my responsibility’ by looking and learning from you of being irresponsible to the environment. What you give you get back? You don’t believe me? Wait till you get old and your kids show that ‘ it’s not my responsibility’ attitude.
That’s all you need to remember.